27 January 2014

R.E.M. "Monster" (1994)

Monster
release date: Sep. 27, 1994
format: cd
[album rate: 4 / 5] [3,80]
producer: Scott Litt and R.E.M.
label: Warner Bros. - nationality: USA

Tracklist: 1. "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" (4 / 5) - 2. "Crush With Eyeliner" - 3. "King of Comedy" (2,5 / 5) - 4. "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" - 5. "Star 69" - 6. "Strange Currencies" - 7. "Tongue" (5 / 5) (live) - 8. "Bang and Blame" (4 / 5) - 9. "I Took Your Name" - 10. "Let Me In" (5 / 5) (live) - 11. "Circus Envy" - 12. "You"

9th studio album by R.E.M. released on Warner Bros. and produced by Scott Litt and R.E.M. The year 1994 is renowned for its many grunge rock-related releases and this is R.E.M.'s contribution to the pool. Both critics and fans seem divided on this one - my guess is that old fans who really liked the band prior to Out of Time (1991) applauded this for its raw and energetic outburst, while others almost hated the album because it was anything but another Out of Time release.
I think it's great, although, it sounds a bit dated today, and it's also rather uneven. "King of Comedy" is truly a poor compositions, almost clearly below mediocre, which somehow makes me think of "Numb" by U2. Still, I rate Monster as high as 4 despite that I find it contains 3-4 lesser compositions, but it's also an album with three fine compositions and four really great tracks including the splendid "Tongue" and the sublime Cobain tribute "Let Me In". Another fine thing about the album, I think, is that Stipe really challenges his vocal capabilities singing with both fierce energy, in soft harmonies and high pitched falsetto, all in the most incredible manner. I've enjoyed this a great deal for more than a decade - it's one of my top 5 favourite R.E.M. albums but also the last truly great album from this band.
[ allmusic.com 2,5 / 5, Rolling Stone 4,5 / 5, Blender 5 / 5 stars ]

Top 5 albums by R.E.M.
1. "Green"
2. "Lifes Rich Pageant"
3. "Document"
4. "Monster"
5. "Automatic for the People"

Show lyrics <- click...