21 August 2014

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons "Anthology" (1988)

Anthology (compilation)
release date: Sep. 28, 1988
format: cd
[album rate: 4 / 5]

Tracklist: 1. "Sherry" (5 / 5) - 2. "Big Girls Don't Cry" - 3. "Walk Like a Man" - 4. "Candy Girl" - 5. "Marlena" - 6. "Dawn (Go Away)" - 7. "Stay" - 8. "Ronnie" - 9. "Rag Doll" - 10. "Silence Is Golden" - 11. "Save It for Me" - 12. "Big Man in Town" - 13. "Bye, Bye, Baby (Baby Goodbye)" - 14. "Girl, Come Running" - 15. "Let's Hang On" - 16. "Don't Think Twice (performed as 'The Wonder Who?')" - 17. "Working My Way Back to You" - 18. "Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me)" - 19. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - 20. "Tell It to The Rain" - 21. "Beggin' " - 22. "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" (relased by Frankie Valli) - 23. "C'mon Marianne" - 24. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - 25. "Who Loves You" - 26. "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)"

This is a great compilation album if you don't want a lot of albums with minor tracks. Normally, I would prefer to dig into the whole discography of an artist that I like, and one day I might just try to get hold of everything I can by this fantastic vocal act. I'm really not a huge fan of doo-wop or 1960s vocal groups, except for maybe soul-related artists, but this is classic, memorable, and very original stuff. The falsetto of Frankie Valli is legendary, and I guess most people know it from their biggest hit "Sherry" but also, very often people have no idea of who did it and / or what else they made, 'cause fact is they made many other great songs, and a lot of them happen to be on this Anthology.