16 August 2010

The Highwaymen "Michael" (1961) (single)

Michael
, 7'' single
release date: 1961
format: vinyl (67 007)
[album rate: 2 / 5] [2,16]
producer: Don Costa
label: United Artists - nationality: USA

Tracklist: A) "Michael" - - B) "Santiano"

Single release by American folk quintet The Highwaymen is a recording of a traditional spiritual, which had already been recorded by several other artists but this version peaked at number #1 on the national Billboard Top 40 singles chart, as it repeated on the UK singles hit list - a triumph they were unable to repeat later on. The title song is also known as "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore".
This record was part of my parents' record collection, and it's single I never really took any pleasure from.



~ ~ ~
This post is part of MyMusicJourney, which enlists key releases that have shaped my musical taste when growing up and until age 14. Most of these releases come from my parents' and / or my older brother's collection.