28 December 2012

David Bowie "Low" (1977)

Low
release date: Jan. 14, 1977
format: vinyl (1983 reissue - NL 83856) / digital
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,42]
producer: David Bowie, Tony Visconti
label: RCA International - nationality: (West) Germany

Track highlights: 1. "Speed of Life" - 4. "Sound and Vision" - 6. "Be My Wife"

11th studio album by David Bowie and his first in what is known as "the Berlin trilogy" - followed by the albums 'Heroes' (Oct. 1977) and Lodger (1979).
The album is Bowie's sixth studio album to be enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".
I do know how people refer to the trilogy as something spectacular, but I never really enjoyed any of the albums all that much. "Sound and Vision" is a great track, but in my ears, I simply cannot understand how what all the fuzz is about. Avant garde Oooooh yes! I guess that's what you have to say when melodies are absent and the sound is unlike anything else but mostly feels like sand in ears.
Not recommended.
[ allmusic.com, Rolling Stone, Q Magazine, Blender 5 / 5, NME 4,5 / 5, Spin 4 / 5 stars ]