08 December 2014

The Beautiful South "Choke" (1989)

Choke
release date: Oct. 1990
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,72]
producer: Mike Hedges, The Beautiful South
label: Go! Discs - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Tonight I Fancy Myself" (4 / 5) - 3. "Let Love Speak Up Itself" - 4. "Should've Kept My Eyes Shut" - 5. "I've Come for My Award" - 8. "A Little Time" (4,5 / 5) (live) - 9. "Mother's Pride"

2nd studio album by The Beautiful South now with Briana Corrigan (featured as backing vocalist on the debut) as full member making the band a sextet (symbolised by the cover art). The style is more or less the same as on the debut. Only downside to another fine album is the production side of it. I mean, playing with piano, brass, horns and strings as in a sophisti-pop, chamber pop universe doesn't require much to make it warm and ambient-sounding - it just sounds a bit like a first take and as a single-layered production. And yes, the texts play a major part, I know, which is why I find it clearly above the average.
[ allmusic.com 3,5 / 5 stars ]