29 December 2014

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark "The Pacific Age" (1986)

The Pacific Age
release date: Sep. 29, 1986
format: digital
[album rate: 3 / 5] [2,86]
producer: Stephen Hague
label: Virgin Records - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Stay (The Black Rose and the Universal Wheel)" - 2. "(Forever) Live and Die" - 3. "The Pacific Age" - 9. "We Love You"

7th studio album by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark is a return to mainstream middle-of-the-road pop compositions. Graham Weir on trombone, keyboards, and guitar, and Neil Weir on trumpet and bass are now credited as full-time members of OMD.
After a fine single earlier that year I expected something more substantial this time. "If You Leave" is not on the album, and I only find a few good tracks on this, which I find superficially over-produced and directed for the non-existent model fan. To me this is even below mediocre, below the poor 1984 album, and thus the band's least favourable album release. With this I simply stopped following the band for the next 20 years or so.
The album wasn't exactly met by the best reviews nor good sales. The first five albums all made it to top ten on the national album charts list, but with Crush (making it to number #13) and this 'only' reaching number #15, the band certainly didn't experience a growing popularity.
I didn't listen to the album until after the new millennium, and I do understand the band's lacking popularity. I find it rather boring and without the originality previous albums all possessed.
Not recommended.
[ allmusic.com 2,5 / 5 stars ]