03 July 2016

The Durutti Column "The Guitar and Other Machines" (1987)

The Guitar and Other Machines
release date: Dec. 1987
format: vinyl (fact204) / digital
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,72]
producer: Stephen Street
label: Factory Records - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: A) 1. "Arpeggiator" (4 / 5) - 2. "What Is It to Me (Woman)" - 4. "Jongleur Grey" - 5. "When the World" - 6. "U.S.P." (4 / 5) - - B) 1. "Bordeaux Sequence" - 2. "Pol In B" (4 / 5) - 3. "English Landscape Tradition" (4 / 5) - 5. "Don't Think You're Funny" (4 / 5)

6th studio album by The Durutti Column following 1 year after Circuses and Bread.
This is one of my favourite albums by The DC. The sound and style is very different with the introduction of drum machines and a heavier use of synthesizers. Somehow the album felt right when it came out and I recall how I used to listen to this at full volume on my walk-man while travelling to work by train. It's not his best but I like his experiments and will to expand his repertoire. My main critique of the album is that it points in too many directions to be a really great album.
[ allmusic.com hands it 3 in 5 stars ]

[ collectors' item ]