03 March 2017

Arcade Fire "Neon Bible" (2007)

Neon Bible
release date: Mar. 3, 2007
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,33]
producer: Arcade Fire
label: Merge Records - nationality: Canada

Track highlights: 2. "Keep the Car Running" (4 / 5) - 3. "Neon Bible" - 6. "Ocean of Noise" - 7. "The Well and the Lighthouse" - 9. "Windowsill" - 10. "No Cars Go" (4 / 5)
[ full album ]

2nd studio album release by Arcade Fire. The band has been expanded by drummer Jeremy Gara, and violinist Sarah Neufeld. Stylistically, the band has moved towards a more wholesome rock-sound, with Funeral being more wild this sees the band take on a more traditional approach.
Yes, it's nicely produced - at times I find it too mainstream-sounding. It probably contain fine lyrics but my initial feelings about it are bland, as I had set my expectations higher.
And of course the album could only disappoint with the meteor-like approach by the debut. It comes out 2½ years after the fabulous debut, and no, it does not live up to that, alas. Frankly, I find it a bit of a difficult listen. I soon tire of Butler's vocal, which I find stay much in the same performance, and the arrangements don't stir up anything - nor my interest. Still, there are some fine songs here, but overall, it fails as to hand me substantial evidence as to why I should consider this band the new big thing - but they were!
[ allmusic.com 4 / 5, Rolling Stone 3,5 / 5, NME 4,5 / 5 stars ]