21 February 2015

Lloyd Cole "Love Story" (1995)

Love Story
release date: Sep. 19, 1995
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,68]

Tracklist: 1. "Trigger Happy" (4 / 5) - 2. "Sentimental Fool" (3,5 / 5) - 3. "I Didn't Know That You Cared" (4 / 5) - 4. "Love Ruins Everything" (3,5 / 5) - 5. "Baby" (3,5 / 5) - 6. "Be There" - 7. "Unhappy Song" - 8. "Like Lovers Do" (3,5 / 5) - 9. "Happy for You" - 10. "Traffic" - 11. "Let's Get Lost" - 12. "For Crying Out Loud"

4th solo studio album by Lloyd Cole, and frankly, I think this album is his best solo release to date. The album sold "Silver" in the UK and peaked at #29 on the album chart (his solo debut peaked at number #11). Before this he released Bad Vibes (1993), which I simply thought was dull and I felt he tried to copy his best songs from his previous releases, and I had sort of givin' up on him as a solo artist. I only heard the album in 2011, but I really think it's one of the best albums released that year, although Alanis Morrisette, Van Morrison, and Smashing Pumpkins are hard to beat that year. From the album, Cole released the single "Like Lovers Do" and that's actually his best selling single. I for one, just find that both "Trigger Happy" and "I Didn't Know That You Cared" are the best songs on this fine album. Stylistically, it's in family with his debut but with more focus on singer / songwriter music. If you have only heard his debut or only know of Lloyd Cole and The Commotions, this is definitely an album you should check out.
[ allmusic.com 3 / 5 stars ]