12 July 2013

Kitchens of Distinction "Love Is Hell" (1989)

Love Is Hell [debut]
release date: Apr. 1989
format: vinyl (tplp9) / cd (TPLP9CD)
[album rate: 4,5 / 5] [4,46]
producer: Kitchens of Distinction
label: One Little Indian - nationality: England, UK

Tracklist of the original cd: 1. "In a Cave" (4 / 5) - 2. "Time to Groan" (4 / 5) - 3. "Shiver" - 4. "Prize" (5 / 5) - 5. "The 3rd Time We Opened the Capsule" (4 / 5) - 6. "Her Last Day in Bed" - 7. "Courage, Mother" (5 / 5) - 8. "Mainly Mornings" (5 / 5) - 9. "Hammer" (5 / 5)

Studio album debut by Kitchens of Distinction is an extremely fascinating debut, and I have had my difficulties in selecting the above rating. Yes, I put Pixies first but that's really only because I chose to define my favourite albums for each year, and frankly, these three are all major albums that I simply love and wouldn't miss! Also, no. 1 on the list IS Pixies' best release, and the other two are not THE best by either of the two other bands, so that sort of made it simple(r).
I purchased this on cd in England in late '89 while temporarily working at a hotel in Banbury, England (The Whately Hall Hotel, an easy and cheap way to experience another country). So, I guess it must have been about 7-8 months after the release. I hadn't come across one single track from the album but just found myself searching for interesting music at a small local music store. The cover caught my attention and just signalled 'interesting indie pop' - so it really matters what type of expression the package comes in. After listening to the first 30-37 seconds, to the point when lead vocalist (and bassist) Patrick Fitzgerald sings "..and it's miiiii-i-iiine" in that highly original phrasing accompanied by Julian Swales' brilliantly distorted and delayed 'flanger' guitar sound that is so much KOD and absolutely like no one else, I knew then, I would have to own the album. Much later into the new Millenium I acquired the album on vinyl.
It's simple, rough and soft [not like Pixies quiet and LOUD complementary style], it's dynamic, intense, sophisticated, and dreamy, and still quite coherent. It's post-punk when most beautiful, and it's shoegaze in its prime. Listen to the appraised Interpol and you know they'd be nothing without Kitchens of Distinction.
Highly recommendable.
[ allmusic.com 4,5 / 5 stars (bonus tracks edition) ]

1989 Favourite releases: 1. Pixies Doolittle - 2. The Blue Nile Hats - 3. Kitchens of Distinction Love Is Hell