22 October 2013

Kitchens of Distinction "Cowboys and Aliens" (1994)

Cowboys and Aliens
release date: Oct. 1994
format: cd (TPLP 53 CD)
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,74]
producer: Kitchens of Distinction, Pascal Gabriel, Pete Bartlett
label: One Little Indian - nationality: England, UK

Tracklist: 1. "Sand on Fire" (4 / 5) - 2. "Get Over Yourself" - 3. "Thought He Had Everything" - 4. "Cowboys and Aliens" (4 / 5) - 5. "Come on Now" - 6. "Remember Me?" - 7. "One of Those Sometimes Is Now" (4 / 5) - 8. "Here Come the Swans" - 9. "Now It's Time to Say Goodbye" (4 / 5) - 10. "Pierced" - 11. "Prince of Mars" (4 / 5)

4th and final studio album by Kitchens of Distinction - at least up until 2013 follows two years after The Death of Cool
For a long time it was a major disappointment to me, although, many consider the album as one of the band's best. It's the continued journey away from what I enjoyed the most about their music: the distorted shoegaze noise pop. Instead the band focuses on dream pop, which really isn't bad. I just thought, it sort of drowned aiming at a more polished mainstream arena. I know this may sound awkward, as I happen to love a lot of pop / rock artists. It was probably because of their initial originality and unique sound, which bore reminiscence of gothic rock and post-punk that I regretted this slow transformation. Today, I can see that, but it took me another decade before I realised its "hidden" beauty. 'Cause the album has some strong and sheer beautiful tracks like "Sand of Fire", "Cowboys and Aliens", "One of Those Sometimes Is Now" and "Now It's Time to Say Goodbye". Yes, for quite some time my impression was bland, and I thought of it as a clearly weaker release. After years of maturing it just grew better and better - also, I read some fine reviews praising the album, so I couldn't just let it go, and I'm glad I didn't. I think it fits so very nicely within their special musical universe of indie dream pop with a touch of noise pop and that ever so undefinable shoegaze, and once you dig into it, you'll might just understand why Interpol has mentioned KOD as one of their favourite artists. Julian Swales' reverberating guitar is all over this fine album. However, the album wasn't the band's breakthrough. In fact, it was mostly ignored and the band was subsequently released from its label contract. They shortly sought a restart in '96 as Kitchens O.D. and released the single Feel My Genie on Fierce Panda Records only to dissolve a few months later in '96.
Recommendable.
[ allmusic.com 4 / 5 stars ]