05 June 2013

Coldplay "A Rush of Blood to the Head" (2002)

A Rush of Blood to the Head
release date: Aug. 26, 2002
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,62]
producer: Ken Nelson, Coldplay
label: Parlophone - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Politik" - 2. "In My Place" - 4. "The Scientist" (4 / 5) - 5. "Clocks" (4 / 5) - 6. "Daylight"

2nd studio album by Coldplay. Despite all the hype and fine reviews the band received after the debut, this is a better album than the debut. In fact, overall I find this their best album ever. It's not that the style or appeal is all that different on this one, but I think it has more nerve and simply better and more original compositions. The album also surpassed the debut in sales and went as high as number #7 on a list encompassing the 20 best-selling albums ever in the UK, and the band harvested even more first prizes at the Grammy Awards and Brit Awards in 2003. The album is included on a number of best of albums of all time and like the debut also in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die". Well, I can only say that I understand why so many people like Coldplay's music. It doesn't do much harm and you can play it to gran parents, uncles and aunts (they love it!), and your kids, and everyone find it just nice. For me, it's too slick, too nice. I think, I had the same feeling about Elton John in the late 70s and early 80s. Not that I didn't like his music, he made some great songs, I just never thought about buying any of it 'cause I wouldn't play it anyway. And that's how it is with these guys. They do make great songs, but boy, don't radio stations just play 'em all over, and all the time. And the songs aren't all that different. I don't really get all the fuss. It's quality music but so mainstream and harmonic that it's nearly (background / elevator) muzak.
[ allmusic.com, The Guardian, Q Magazine, Rolling Stone 4 / 5 stars ]