15 October 2019

The Radio Dept. "I Don't Need Love, I've Got My Band" (2019)

L-R: Duncanson & Carlberg
I Don't Need Love, I've Got My Band
(compilation)
release date: Aug. 23, 2019
format: digital (10 x File, FLAC)
[album rate: 4 / 5]
producer: (rec. by Johan Duncanson, Martin Carlberg)
label: Just So! - nationality: Sweden


Compilation album by The Radio Dept. is basically two old EPs re-released as one album. Tracks 1-5 were originally released as the Pulling Our Weight EP, from Nov. 2003, and tracks 6-10 has previously been released as This Past Week EP, in Jan. 2005. The album has now been released on the band's own label Just So! (established in 2018 when they re-issued Pet Grief as their first album).
Well, this is what we get, when all we really want is new studio material from one of Sweden's most fascinating bands. I take it as a statement saying: 'Hey, but we're still around!'
The front cover is the first revealing the two members of Johan Duncanson and Martin Carlberg. Musically, it's quite naturally The Radio Dept. classic with melodic noise pop, indie rock, and shoegaze written all over, and then the two EPs actually fit nicely together, which makes it a most wanted album, despite being old material. It fits nicely as a natural companion to Passive Aggressive: Singles 2002-2010 (2011).

The two original EPs:
2003 Pulling Our Weight EP


2005 This Past Week EP