11 January 2014

The Chemical Brothers "Dig Your Own Hole" (1997)

Dig Your Own Hole
release date: Apr. 7, 1997
format: cd
[album rate: 4,5 / 5] [4,33]
producer: The Chemical Brothers
label: Freestyle Dust / Virgin - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Block Rockin' Beats" (4,5 / 5) - 2. "Dig Your Own Hole" (4 / 5) - 3. "Elektrobank" (4 / 5) - 5. "Setting Sun (feat. Noel Gallagher)" (5 / 5) - 8. "Get Up on It Like This" - 10. "Where Do I Begin (feat. Beth Orton)" (5 / 5) - 11. "The Private Psychedelic Reel" (5 / 5 )

2nd studio album release by The Chemical Brothers is one of the true great classic big beat albums. It was the first album I heard and bought with the duo, and I must have heard "Setting Sun" a zillion times at maximum volume - to my neighbours' regret. Best tracks however, are the two disc-end tracks. I don't listen much to it anymore but it's rather tight and a great dance album - I mean: I wanna dance, I don't do drugs, and I normally never ever dance without being drunk, which happens once every second year or so, but put this on, hand me the vacuum cleaner, turn up the volume, and I start cleaning the house dancing away! The album is enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".
[ allmusic.com 5 / 5, NME, Q Magazine, Spin, Rolling Stone, The Guardian 4 / 5 stars ]

1997 Favourite releases: 1. Buena Vista Social Club Buena Vista Social Club - 2. The Chemical Brothers Dig Your Own Hole - 3. The Divine Comedy A Short Album About Love