04 January 2013

Grant Lee Buffalo "Fuzzy" (1993)

Fuzzy [debut]
release date: Feb. 23, 1993
format: digital
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,63]
producer: Paul Kimble
label: Slash Records - nationality: USA

Track highlights: 1. "The Shining Hour" - 2. "Jupiter and Teardrop" (4 / 5) - 3. "Fuzzy" - 5. "The Hook" - 7. "Stars 'n' Stripes" - 9. "America Snoring" - 11. "You Just Have to Be Crazy"

Studio debut album by the Los Angeles trio Grant Lee Buffalo consisting of Grant-Lee Phillips on lead vocals and guitar, Paul Kimble on bass and keyboards, and with Joey Peters on drums. The band has become known as an artists' favourite band - many have lauded the music and style of the band but they never has been a great public magnet. Lead vocalist of R.E.M., Michael Stipe called the album best of the year, and also music critics on both sides of the Atlantic praised the album. Stylistically, the band plays an alt. rock with focus on folk rock and americana, and has been linked with the music of John Stewart and Neil Young. I recall, being introduced to Fuzzy by a friend of mine back when it was released, but I didn't rate it as high as I would later on. I think, my initial rejection of the music had much to do with my own fascination for dream pop and grunge rock at the time, and this is far from that. Today, I really enjoy it, and I think my rating has gone from 2,5 to 3,5 in the span of 20 years.
[ allmusic.com 4,5 / 5, NME, Q Magazine 4 / 5 stars ]