15 January 2013

Dire Straits "Communiqué" (1979)

Communiqué
release date: Jun. 15, 1979
format: vinyl (SRM-1-3791) / digital
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,58]
producer: Barry Beckett, Jerry Wexler
label: Mercury Records - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Once Upon a Time in the West" - 3. "Where Do You Think You're Going?" (live) - 5. "Lady Writer" (4 / 5) - 7. "Portobello Belle" - 8. "Single-Handed Sailor"

2nd studio album by Dire Straits following one year after the great debut was originally released by Vertigo.
Now, I really liked Dire Straits way back then but just a few years later as I discovered punk rock and new wave, I saw them as a bit dull and old-fashioned, although I still enoyed their music. I recall how I heard my older brother playing the first two albums by the band all the time, at least when he didn't play Pink Floyd, Jean-Michel Jarre or Mike Oldfield. I really loved "Sultans of Swing" from the debut, so I was actually more than disappointed about this one - initially. I thought it was too slow and a bit boring - too much blues and not enough rock. It has never been my preferred Dire Straits album but over time, I think it is rather good, although still a bit on the slow side and too much rooted in the blues, and I'm not really a blues man. I always loved soul so much more but electric blues and psychedelic blues rock á la Jimi Hendrix is a damn good type of blues. I think the trouble with this album is the total focus on Mark Knopfler, his guitar sound and voice way up front... all the time. I mean, I enjoy some of his post-Dire Straits solo works but that's often much more varied or composed with other elements than his poignant guitar and very distinct voice. Having said that, I really enjoy the song "Lady Writer", which is very much in line with the tracks on the debut album.
[ allmusic.com 2,5 stars ]