15 June 2015

Turboweekend "Share My Thunder" (2015)

my own scan
Share My Thunder
release date: Mar. 30, 2015
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,58]
producer: Turboweekend
label: Parlophone Denmark / Warner - nationality: Denmark

Track highlights: 1. "Asking for More" - 2. "Disco to Disco" - 4. "Levitate" - 5. "Miles and Miles" (4 / 5) - 7. "Another Woman's Man" - 10. "Good Luck in Barcelona" - 11. "Share My Thunder" (4,5 / 5)

4th and final full studio album by Turboweekend, who keep to their indietronica style. It's strange how their albums have always opened up gradually from what I found just okay to much better over a period of time. I bought the album upon its release and likewise, this was just so-so the first time, but already more interesting the second and third time, and after three months it has shown its potential. That's just how it is with some music. I think, I have to wait some more months to digest it and eventually rate it fully. By now I find it better and really good, but will it be great? Anyway, it betters most other national releases and as such it's my favourite Danish album of the year, and although, it's only just bettering the 2009 album Ghost of a Chance, I don't quite find that it's up there with the band's so far best album Fault Lines from 2012. My favourite composition is the end-track "Share My Thunder" with a very special template. With a running time at 8:57 it's easily the longest track. It contains both fine chorus parts as well as being a strong experimental progressive pop / rock anthem with hints from post-rock, AND it also consists of two rather different halves, which works brilliantly. I have played it over and over - each time ending with a sensation of surprise as to how short it felt. To me, this is the song of the album, and what a single it could have been!
EDIT 2019:
In January 2017 the band released the live album Close-Up - only as a downloadable album, and apparently, they had been recording tracks for a new album throughout 2017 when they in Feb. 2018 announced that the upcoming tour instead would be their farewell tour, and by the end of 2018 Turboweekend ceased to exist.