08 June 2010

Nina Simone "Wild Is the Wind" (1966)

Wild Is the Wind
release date: Sep. 1966
format: cd
[album rate: 4 / 5]

Tracklist: 1. "I Love Your Lovin' Ways" - 2. "Four Women" (5 / 5) - 3. "Lilac Wine" - 4. "Break Down and Let It All Out" - 5. "Why Keep on Breaking My Heart" - 6. "Wild Is the Wind" - 7. "Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Hair" (live) - 8. "If I Should Lose You" - 9. "Either Way I Lose"

One of vocal jazz biggest female voices with a great example of her ability to mix soul with jazz and standards. Nina Simone is a wonderful vocalist and this album is one of her finest. Lisening to this, I cannot help thinking of modern contemporary artists like Amy Winehouse, Anohni (vocalist of Anohni and the Johnsons), Jimmy Somerville, and Roland Gift to mention just a few who may have listened to and thought of Miss Simone when shaping their own individual sound. The album is enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".