27 October 2014

The Stranglers "Dreamtime" (1986)

Dreamtime
release date: Oct. 27, 1986
format: vinyl (EPC 26648) / digital
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,44]
producer: Mike Kemp and The Stranglers
label: Epic Records - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: A) 1. "Always the Sun" - 2. "Dreamtime" - 4. "You'll Always Reap What You Sow" - - B) 2. "Big in America"

9th studio album by The Stranglers following closely on the path laid out with Aural Sculpture (1984). The style is still pop / rock, and the album feature four single releases - none of which made it any higher than to #30 on the UK singles chart list. First single "Nice in Nice" is not really the best track, but the second single "Always the Sun" became a small singles hit outside Britain.
The album was met by luke-warm to negative reviews, which I find strange considering how much it resembles the sound of the predecessor, but from my perspective, sounds more original and is better produced. To me, this was more or less the end of my interest for the band. The last two albums were no near earlier edgy releases and I found that I tired quickly of their new songs. At the time, I do think I found this an even lesser album than the '84 album, but in retrospect, I actually prefer this one.