02 February 2019

Teitur "I Want to Be Kind" (2018)

I Want to Be Kind
release date: Jun. 8, 2018
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,52]
producer: Thomas Bartlett, Teitur Lassen
label: Arlo & Betty Recordings - nationality: Faroe Islands, Denmark

Track highlights: 1. "Looking for a Place" - 2. "To Be of Use" - 3. "If Your Heart's Not in It" - 6. "I Would Love You All the Same" - 8. "I Want to Be Kind" - 12. "I Have Found My Happiness"

7th studio album by Teitur follows almost five whole years after his most recent album Story Music (Oct. 2013). In the meantime, Teitur released the collaboration album Confessions (Oct. 2016, released on Nonesuch) with American composer and conductor Nico Muhly.
I Want to Be Kind is a bit of a return to his roots in chamber pop and quiet folk rock. Except for his brief take with Story Music and his collaboration work with Nico Muhly, it's not that Teitur is notorious for making big experimental detours on his musical path, where he stays pretty much to a formula with roots in folk and leaving enough room to embrace both ballads and more rock-oriented compositions, and that's also what he has returned to here. After all, I think he sounds more confident in his songwriting than he did on the more experimental Story Music.
It's a nice collection of sometimes deep and witty songs, and as always, Teitur has a fine ear for melody.