29 August 2015

John Fred and His Playboys "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" (1967) (single)

Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)
, 7'' single
release date: 1967
format: vinyl (C 282)
[single rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,45]
producer: John Fred, Andrew Bernard
label: California - nationality: USA

Tracklist: A) "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" - - B) "When the Lights Go Out"

Single release by John Fred and His Playboys, a Louisiana, US 'bubble-gum' band with John Fred Gourrier as founder. Later in '67 they changed name to John Fred & His Playboy Band. The title song here is by Fred and band mate Andrew Bernard, and it's made as a parody on The Beatles' "Judy in the Sky With Diamonds". The single was an international hit and actually topped the single "Hello, Goodbye" by The Beatles on the American Billboard Hot 100 singles list where it topped the charts in early '68. The title song also remains the band's only hit.
The single was part of my parents' record collection and a record I used to enjoy back as a 6-11 year old. Initially, I just found the song really good, and along the way, I also found the front cover... quite fascinating.


~ ~ ~
This post is part of MyMusicJourney, which enlists key releases that have shaped my musical taste when growing up and until age 14. Most of these releases come from my parents' and / or my older brother's collection.