02 April 2015

The Cure "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" (1987)

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
release date: May 5, 1987
format: cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,44]
producer: David M. Allen, Robert Smith
label: Fiction Records - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: A) 1. "The Kiss" - - B) 5. "Why Can't I Be You" - 2. "How Beautiful You Are" - - C) 1. "Just Like Heaven" (4 / 5) - 2. "All I Want" - 4. "One More Time" - - D) 3. "A Thousand Hours"

7th studio album by The Cure. With this the band continues the style from The Head on the Door (1985). The album was released as a double vinyl album but released as a single disc cd with the omission of one track to fit playing time limits for cds. Like I had been accustomed to, I went straight out and bought the album. I never got fond of it though. The album signalled the end of my fascination for the band. Occasionally, I listened to the album and found some tracks really great, some really beautiful, and others interesting, but overall I was just tired of Robert Smith's melancholic lamenting voice AND the new orchestrated sound with synths all over the place. Actually, in the early '90s I resold the album alongside the successor Disintegration (1989) with a couple of The Cure 12'' singles to afford to buy new music. Back then I wouldn't have handed it more than 2 / 5 stars, but in retrospect I acknowledge the music, although, I'm not really fond of it either.
[ allmusic.com, Rollings Stone 4 / 5, Blender 5 / 5 stars ]