31 January 2013

R.E.M. "Document" (1987)

1993 bonus
tracks reissue
Document
release date: Aug. 31, 1987
format: cd (1993 - The I.R.S. Years Vintage 1987)
[album rate: 4 / 5] [4,12]
producer: Scott Litt & R.E.M.
label I.R.S. Records - nationality: USA

Tracklist: 1. "Finest Worksong" (4,5 / 5) - 2. "Welcome to the Occupation" - 3. "Exhuming McCarthy" (4 / 5) - 4. "Disturbance at the Heron House" (3,5 / 5) - 5. "Strange" (4 / 5) - 6. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" (5 / 5) (live) - 7. "The One I Love" (5 / 5) - 8. "Fireplace" (3,5 / 5) - 9. "Lightnin' Hopkins" - 10. "King of Birds" - 11. "Oddfellows Local 151"
Bonus tracks on 1993 extended edition: 12. "Finest Worksong (Other Mix)" - 13. "Last Date" - 14. "The One I Love" (Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop) - 15. "Time After Time, Etc." (Live) - 16. "Disturbance at the Heron House" (Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop) - 17. "Finest Worksong" (Lengthy Club Mix)"

5th studio album by R.E.M. is the last studio album to be issued by I.R.S. Records before signing with Warner Bros. It's the first in a long series of successful albums (and probably also their best selling albums) to be co-produced by Scott Litt.
Michael Stipe was notoriously known for his incomprehensible and sometimes undecipherable lyrics - at least up until this album. In their early days he used his voice just like any other instrument, regardless grammar or meaning. Like Buck's guitar, Mills' bass and Berry's drums, his voice was a sound unit. One of the best examples of Stipe creating the vocal side by rambling stuff off is the song "It's the End of the World...", which became one of their best loved songs over the years. At live concerts he would add and replace verses, phrases, mixing things together, or simply forgetting words, thus creating the song anew.
Despite being a fan of theirs, I somehow managed to reject this album at the time of its release, and I didn't get hold of it until after purchasing [in chronological order]: Green (1988), the two compilation albums Dead Letter Office (Apr. 1987) and Eponymous (1988), and both Out of Time (1991) and Automatic for the People (1992) - by then, I found this, the remastered 'Vintage' reissue, which I initially found a somewhat lesser release slightly in family with Fables of the / Reconstruction of the (1985). I recall the time when it came out, I was really fond of Lifes Rich Pageant (1986) and I had just only bought the band's first compilation album Dead Letter Office, which was really great, so I overlooked it as a studio album, misinterpreting the title Document as yet another compilation album - a 'document' of what they had so far issued. In fact, after finally purchasing it in '93, I mistakenly still thought of it as just another compilation album for some time.
When I finally came to realize its true significance, I also understood how great an album it really is. In my mind, it surely fits in among their 5 best albums ever. Deservedly, the album is enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die", and on my personal list it's in top 3 of R.E.M. studio albums.
[ allmusic.com 4,5 / 5, Rolling Stone 5 / 5 stars ]

vinyl cover


Top 5 albums by R.E.M.
1. "Green"
2. "Lifes Rich Pageant"
3. "Document"
4. "Monster"
5. "Automatic for the People"

Show lyrics <- click...