14 December 2012

The Jam "Snap!" (1983)

Snap! (compilation)
release date: Sep. 7, 1983
format: 2 lp vinyl (LTD., gatefold - SNAP 1)
[album rate: 4 / 5]
producer: C. Parry; V. Smith; The Jam; P. Wilson
label: Polydor Records - nationality: England, UK

The first best of compilation album by The Jam released on Polydor. The album was released approx. one year after the disbandment. I remember ordering the album in England, and my surprise of having an additional 4-track ep Live EP included in the package when I opened it - beacuse they had sent me the Limited Edition of the album. I also remember my initial luke-warm feelings about the album, as there was nothing new to the songs. Naturally, I knew them all so well by heart that it simply failed to attract my attention.
From wikipedia: Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic called it "one of the greatest greatest-hits albums of all time". And yes, that may very well be so. It's a great album with a bunch of essential tracks. My only problem with it, are not just the omitted tracks but really the oddness upon hearing tracks from different times just after each other. The band came out of punk rock with an energy that other band's envied them, found their own version of mod revival in a unique combination of new wave and post-punk, and ended with a sound that incorporated soul and r&b in that mod revival outfit they represented more than anything.
[ allmusic.com 5 / 5 stars ]

[ collectors' item - Ltd. Edition with 1 x 7'' ep in near perfect condition ]