06 October 2015

a-ha "Scoundrel Days" (1986)

Scoundrel Days
release date: Oct. 6, 1986
format: cd
[album rate: 2,5 / 5] [2,68]
producer: Alan Tarney, Mags, Pål Waaktaar
label: Warner Bros. - nationality: Norway

2nd studio album by a-ha released one year after the debut - and this time co-produced by Magnus Furuholmen and Pål Waaktaar of the band.
The album contains fine vocal harmonies and well-executed compositions but it doesn't really help me when I find it tedious in the long run. It's hard to tell just what lacks 'cause these guys know how to play their instruments - they are kinda original, aren't they? The "but" part is somewhere in what's not really interesting, "fine fine, yes but... I just don't really find it that good." In the days when they were around I think, I thought of it as "music for girls", mostly. I know that sounds stupid but it must be that it never really appealed to me, so I had to categorise it along with bands like Culture Club and Take That stuff and hearing it some 30 years later doesn't really change my feelings about it - so there you have it.
I can't really recommend this.