01 October 2014

Underworld "Barking" (2010)

Barking
release date: Sep. 13, 2010
format: digital
[album rate: 3 / 5] [3,18]

8th studio album by Underworld. On this the duo has progressed into drum and bass electronic and returned to trance, which was one of their initial styles back in 1994.
Frankly, my initial feelings about the album was a rather boring release and I have to admit that I didn't really play it that many times. I always ended up skipping tracks and by putting something else on in the end. To me it was the disappointing continued journey into earlier and already known territory, however, I did continue to return to the album. Just to try to understand on one hand my rejection 'cause I really enjoy several of their other albums and on the other hand to see if I could find the band's fascination and intentions. And luckily so, I did! I have ended up seeing this from a much more positive perspective. It took me a long time to get there, but after enjoying their 2016 album I returned to the albums, I somehow had rejected as detours, and what I found here is the same distinct fingerprint that simply says 'Underworld'. It's a take on the electronic genre with clear evidence of their fascination of progressiveness. Sometimes they incorporate techno and trance but there are always hints of more danceable styles like drum & bass and house, which in the end has become their distinctive style. And although, this is more techno than breakbeat it's also simply more experimental progressive electronic as such, and with a will to understand it does contain fine compositions and music that matters despite not being an album of single wonders.
[ allmusic.com 3 / 5, NME 2,5 / 5, Mojo, Uncut 4 / 5 stars ]