28 October 2013

Frank Zappa "Sheik Yerbouti" (1979)

Sheik Yerbouti (live)
release date: Mar. 3, 1979
format: vinyl 2 lp (gatefold - 88339) / cd
[album rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,62]
producer: Frank Zappa
label: CBS Records - nationality: USA

Track highlights: 1. "I Have Been in You" - 2. "Flakes" - 3. "Broken Hearts Are for Assholes" - 6. "What Ever Happened to All the Fun in the World" - 7. "Rat Tomago" - 9. "Bobby Brown" - 11. "The Sheik Yerbouti Tango" - 15. "Dancin' Fool"

A double live album by Frank Zappa is made up of live recordings predominantly from concerts at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, Jan. '78. The recordings have been processed and re-engineered in the studio with over-dubbing. The title is a word-play and should be pronounced 'Shake Your Booty' - allegedly, inspired by KC and the Sunshine Band's disco hit "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty" from 1976.
I've always been particular fond of this album. Maybe because it was the first that I listened to with Zappa because my older puchased this when it was released. I think, it really displays his great abilities: sharp satire, great pop songwriter, brilliant instrumentalist, and fascinating modern composer.


~ ~ ~
This post is part of MyMusicJourney, which enlists key releases that have shaped my musical taste when growing up and until age 14. Most of these releases come from my parents' and / or my older brother's collection.