18 December 2014

Van Morrison "Hymns to the Silence" (1991)

Hymns to the Silence
release date: Sep. 1, 1991
format: vinyl 2 lp (849 026-1) / cd
[album rate: 4,5 / 5] [4,58]
producer: Van Morrison
label: Polydor Records - nationality: Northern Ireland, UK

Tracklist: A) 1. "Professional Jealousy" (5 / 5) - 2. "I'm Not Feeling It Anymore" (5 / 5) - 3. "Ordinary Life" (4 / 5) - 4. "Some Peace of Mind" (4 / 5) - 5. "So Complicated" - - B) 1. "I Can't Stop Loving You" (4 / 5) - 2. "Why Must I Always Explain?" (5 / 5) - 3. "Village Idiot" (5 / 5) - 4. "See Me Through, part 2 (Just a Closer Walk With Thee)" - 5. "Take Me Back" (5 / 5) - - C) 1. "By His Grace" - 2. "All Saints Day" - 3. "Hymns to the Silence" (5 / 5) - 4. "On Hyndford Street" (4 / 5) - 5. "Be Thou My Vision" - - D) 1. "Carrying a Torch" - 2. "Green Mansions" (4 / 5) - 3. "Pagan Streams" (4 / 5) - 4. "Quality Street" (5 / 5) - 5. "It Must Be You" (5 / 5) - 6. "I Need Your Kind of Loving" (4 / 5)

21st studio album by Van Morrison following one year after his great 20th album Enlightenment is a double album containing 21 new compositions. I'm a big fan of 'Van the Man', which comes through in the following, mind you. Although, I "only" own about 3/4 from his what... 40-45 studio albums (?), my musical taste includes all sorts of musical genres, styles and sub-genres. However, this album is one of my favourite albums of all styles and of all albums, and it will most likely always be that. It's beyond my recognition that e.g. Allmusic only direct 3,5 stars to this masterpiece. Avalon Sunset (1989) may be seen as his most pure and polished pop album but it receives a bit too much recognition, in my mind. I find that this even surpasses Enlightenment (1990), which by many is considered one of his best. I know that Avalon is extremely popular - many like it and not that many hold anything against it - and still not that many would be as bold to call it a masterpiece - this release is just that [period].
What I find works so well on this is the combination of several forces: it contains compositions that seem much in family with tracks that you'll find on his acclaimed No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (1986) and his more pop-minded Enlightenment (1990), and then you'll also find songs where he drifts into a musical dimension of sub-consciousness that reminds me of the strengths you'll find on Beautiful Vision (1982), Veedon Fleece (1974), and on Astral Weeks (1968). It's not an album that copies former successes, but here he dwells on compositional lines and arrangements of his past like a musical exploration.
In my view, this is not only his best studio release but also one of the most successful double albums and best 'pop / rock' albums in the history of modern music - that's how I feel about this album. I know it's a lot of roses and a completely subjective opinion but sometimes it may be right even so. The only reason I won't call it a 5 star release is because of a few songs that simply goes too far in the praising of (a) god. Yes, I'm aware of the title, and it's no real surprise that Van (especially during the 80s) could be a bit (over-)religious - but hey, that's Okay! I'm not judgemental. And it does seem that he has found a new faith after having released a couple of albums paying tribute to - if not exactly atheist conviction - non-religious spiritual philosophy. No, in fact, it's perfectly all right, I'm a very tolerant but non-religious person and I don't preach. I just don't adore a few of the songs... which explains that I cannot put it ahead of Talk Talk's best album and call it the best album of '91, but forced to pick just one album from that year (and the 90s overall) for a desert island trip - this would certainly be one of my top-3 albums.

1991 Favourite releases: 1. Talk Talk Laughing Stock - 2. Van Morrison Hymns to the Silence - 3. Kitchens of Distinction Strange Free World