07 June 2011

BEST OF 1967:
The Velvet Underground and Nico "The Velvet Underground & Nico" (1967)

The Velvet Underground & Nico [debut]
release date: Mar. 12, 1967
format: vinyl (reissue) / cd (2012, 45th Anniversary Edition)
[album rate: 5 / 5] [4,88]
producer: Andy Warhol
label: Polydor Records - nationality: USA

Tracklist: A) 1. "Sunday Morning" - 2. "I'm Waiting for the Man" - 3. "Femme Fatale" (5 / 5) - 4. "Venus in Furs" (5 / 5) - 5. "Run Run Run" - 6. "All Tomorrow's Parties" (5 / 5) - - B) 1. "Heroin" - 2. "There She Goes Again" (5 / 5) - 3. "I'll Be Your Mirror" - 4. "The Black Angel's Death Song" - 5. "European Son"
[ full album ]

Studio album debut by The Velvet Underground originally released on Verve Records and, according to the album credits, produced by Andy Warhol, which does sound unlikely as Warhol didn't have any recording experiences - however, he did pay for the the studio sessions. Actual technical producer is most likely Tom Wilson. The Velvet underground is in its classic line-up with Lou Reed on lead vocals & lead guitar, John Cale on electric viola, piano & bass guitar, Sterling Morrison on guitar, bass guitar & backing vocals, and with Maureen Tucker on drums & percussion. Nico was never part of the band but often participated when playing live, and she is here credited as lead vocalist on tracks #3, #6 and #9 and sings backing vocals on track #1. Lou Reed is songwriter and composer of all songs - only tracks #A1 and #B4 are co-written with Cale and #B5 is credited the whole band.
The album is one of the most iconic and legendary albums of rock. Although, the initial reception wasn't just positive, its status nowadays places it among the utmost influential albums ever released. The cover has its own story, and the tracks, dealing with all kinds of touchy subjects, have their particular stories.
I can't remember exactly the first time, I listened to this album, but in the late 1970s my older brother introduced it to me, and I do remember that I liked it the minute I heard it, and I have loved it ever since. Every now and then, I put it on, and I'm always amazed of how fine and fresh it still sounds production-wise, as well as the immediate appeal that every single track conveys.
Naturally, it's enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".

1967 Favourite releases: 1. The Velvet Underground and Nico The Velvet Underground & Nico - 2. Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced? - 3. The Doors The Doors

org. cover



~ ~ ~
This post is part of MyMusicJourney, which enlists key releases that have shaped my musical taste when growing up and until age 14. Most of these releases come from my parents' and / or my older brother's collection.