12 May 2011

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" (1967)

Are You Experienced? [debut]
release date: May 12, 1967
format: cd (reissue)
[album rate: 4 / 5]

Track highlights: A) 1. "Foxy Lady" (5 / 5) - 2. "Manic Depression" - 3. "Red House" (4 / 5) - 4. "Can You See Me" - 5. "Love or Confusion" - 6. "I Don't Live Today" (4,5 / 5) (live) - - B) 1. "May This Be Love" - 2. "Fire" (5 / 5) - 3. "Third Stone From the Sun" - 4. "Remember" - 5. "Are You Experienced?"

Studio debut album by The Jimi Hendrix Experience originally released on Track Records (distributed by Polydor). Both style and sound of the album was something totally new as it was released. Hendrix shows his r&b-based source transformed into electrified psychedelic blues rock or acid rock. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Small Faces, Buffalo Springfield, Frank Zappa, Cream, and many others had experimented with dubbing and started to bring in psychedelic elements to their sound but the Hendrix' feedback distortion was something new, and the tracks are refreshingly new. The album is naturally enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".
I don't think I listened to the album in its entirety until the early 80s, but I had listened to several of the songs from the album, e.g. "Foxy Lady", "Manic Depression", "I Don't Live Today", and "Fire" back in the 70s, and I knew from early on that it was something extremely powerful.

1967 Favourite releases: 1. The Velvet Underground and Nico The Velvet Underground & Nico - 2. Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced? - 3. The Doors The Doors


~ ~ ~
This post is part of MyMusicJourney, which enlists key releases that have shaped my musical taste when growing up and until age 14. Most of these releases come from my parents' and / or my older brother's collection.