28 December 2013

Frank Zappa "Joe's Garage Act II & III" (1979)

Joe's Garage Act II & III
release date: Nov. 19, 1979
format: digital (2 lp)
[album rate: 2 / 5]

Track highlights: 1. "A Token of My Extreme" - 7. "He Used to Cut the Grass" - 10. "A Little Green Rosetta"

No sooner than two months following Joe's Garage Act I, Zappa released Act II & III as a double vinyl album, and having already released the double lp, Sheik Yerbouti and two albums with 1970s unreleased material ("Orchestral Favorites" and "Sleep Dirt") in the year 1979, he was in his most productive period of his musical lifetime. Having said that, I don't think Joe's Garage is all that great. It has it moments, most of which is jazz rock, and I don't really like this style of his repertoire. In 1987 the three parts were released as a triple album box set, Joe's Garage Act I, II & III.