12 December 2012

The Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" (1968)

Odessey and Oracle
release date: Apr. 19, 1968
format: digital
[album rate: 2,5 / 5]

Best tracks: 1. "Care of Cell 44" - 12. "Time of the Season"

3rd studio album by British band The Zombies. This is a highly praised and classic pop album. I don't really understand the hype and the tremendous appraisal it received. I put it on, listen to it, and try to understand as to why, but it only eludes me. I don't get it, and I find it boring and senselessly dull. All I can think of, is that it seems like a pop-version of some of the harder music at the time, maybe, a softer pop-version of The Doors or Jefferson Airplane - a link between the British pop-invasion of The Kinks and The Who, and the aforementioned American bands together with harmonies by The Beach Boys. I just don't like that clone. The album is enlisted in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".