19 July 2012

Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Tarkus" (1971)

Tarkus
release date: Jun. 14, 1971
format: cd (2014 reissue)
[album rate: 2 / 5] [2,05]
producer: Greg Lake
label: Victor Entertainment - nationality: England, UK

Track highlights: 1. "Tarkus"

2nd studio album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, originally released on Island Records, which established the band as one of the most daring and pioneering bands into progressive rock or symphonic rock that evolved from psychedelic rock in the early 1970s. Well, it's there - it's a critically acclaimed album but I just don't really dig it. It's mostly somewhat annoying. Hammond organs can be great, and both Pink Floyd and Deep Purple showed that, just as many of the early punk rock bands did in the late 70s, or for that matter great artists of traditional soul, but here it's just notes and chords babbling out and running wild from my speakers. I don't really like it and see no heads and tails in it. I acknowledge the importance of ELP but don't like the taste. Still, and for obscure reasons the album is enlisted in "1001 Albums I Must Hear Before I Die" - so I did.
[ allmusic.com 3,5 / 5 stars ]