19 July 2012

Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery" (1973)

Brain Salad Surgery
release date: Dec. 19, 1973
format: digital (1987 reissue)
[album rate: 2,5 / 5] [2,38]
producer: Greg Lake
label: Manticore / Atlantic Records - nationality: England, UK

4th studio album by Emerson, Lake & Palmer and the first to be released on the trio's new-founded label Manticore Records (the cd issue by Atlantic). Well, since ELP is not really my cup of... anything, the only reason I came across the band in the first place was because of the front cover made by Swiss artists H.R. Geiger. Musically, this is not as good as the trio's earlier works. They seem stuck in their classical adaptational mood rather than making interesting music. Somehow, I wish I would rate this higher than I do - but frankly, I probably already rate it higher than I would if not album and band had such high status. I don't listen to this. I find it annoying but... original, and for that it hand it 2,5 stars, although, I could throw 1 star at it for taste and enjoyment, but hey, the cover is great!
Some notes on the title.
[ allmusic.com 4,5 / 5 stars ]