02 September 2014

Jello Biafra with NoMeansNo "The Sky Is Falling and I Want My Mommy" (1991)

The Sky Is Falling and I Want My Mommy
release date: Jul. 1, 1991
format: cd
[album rate: 3 / 5] [2,98]
producer: 'all of us' [Jello Biafra, Andy Kerr, Rob Wright, John Wright]
label: Alternative Tentacles - nationality: USA

Track highlights: 1. "The Sky Is Falling, and I Want My Mommy (Falling Space Junk)" - 4. "Bad" - 5. "Ride the Flume" - 7. "Sharks in the Gene Pool"

A collaboration album with former Dead Kennedys vocalist Jello Biafra and Canadian hardcore punk band NoMeansNo (which at this point was a trio) produced by Biafra and NoMeansNo.
It's not far from the style and musical universe of Dead Kennedys, although, there's a certain amount of art punk (NoMeansNo) and some spoken word (Jello Biafra) elements to it and the track playing time is sometimes extended beyond 5 mins making it a somewhat untraditional hardcore punk release.
The album is the second collaboration work by Biafra after the split of DK, as he released the album Last Scream of the Missing Neighbors in '89 together with D.O.A.
Musically, I think it's too far from the qualities of Dead Kennedys, it's too muddy and too hardcore to my liking, but it has its moments, and Biafra seems like an eternal source of ironic, sarcastic and provocative lyrics hinted at American society and at moral majority.
[ allmusic.com 2 / 5, Punknews.org 4 / 5 stars ]