23 April 2014

Siouxsie and the Banshees "Dear Prudence" (1983) (single)

gatefold cover
Dear Prudence, 7'' single
release date: Sep. 23, 1983
format: vinyl (gatefold - SHEG 4)
[single rate: 3,5 / 5] [3,42]
producer: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mike Hedges
label: Polydor / Wonderland - nationality: England, UK

Tracklist: A) "Dear Prudence" - - B) "Tattoo"

Single release by Siouxsie and the Banshees and the band's first issue featuring Robert Smith (The Cure) on guitar. The title track is a cover-song originally by The Beatles and credited Lennon / McCartney.
The single was issued in regular 7'' and 12'' issues. I purchased a special issue, which comes with a six panel fold-out green sleeve.
The single is the band's best-selling single-hit making it to number #3 on the British singles chart list, but it also brought the band some fame in North America.
I guess, its appeal to a largely mainstream audience secured the fine sales numbers. Having purchased the vinyl single, it never appealed much to my taste, though. I think, I thought of it as being too pretentious and contrary to the style I had come to associate with Siouxsie and the Banshees.

regular cover