16 June 2012

Dexter Gordon "Manhattan Symphonie" (1978)

Manhattan Symphonie
release date: 1978
format: cd
[album rate: 4 / 5]

Tracklist: 1. "As Time Goes By" (5 / 5) - 2. "Moment's Notice" (5 / 5) - 3. "Tanya" - 4. "Body and Soul" (4 / 5) - 5. "I Told You So" - 6. "Ltd"

A late studio album by Dexter Gordon. This was the first full album I heard with Dexter Gordon back in the 1980s. I found it at the local library and kept it on cassette for many years until finally finding it on cd. Although, I found several other albums, this remains one of my favourites by Long Tall Dexter. Together with Gettin' Around (1966), and his appearance in the soundtrack (as well as the major part in the French movie) "Round Midnight" (1986, directed by Bertrand Tavernier) this contains some of his best recordings.
[ allmusic.com 4 / 5 stars ]