12 November 2013

Vangelis "Blade Runner" (OST) (1994)

Blade Runner (soundtrack)
release date: 1994
format: cd (2013 remaster)
[album rate: 4 / 5] [4,02]
producer: Vangelis
label: Audio Fidelity - nationality: Greece

Original soundtrack by Vangelis for the film "Blade Runner" (1982) by Ridley Scott. An orchestral adaptation of the soundtrack by New American Orchestra was the only official soundtrack released alongside the film premiere and Vangelis was unable / not allowed to release his score until '94.
Although, new age and Vangelis is really not my preferred kind of music, I admit that this is so much better than the official soundtrack from '82. In fact, this is like listening to something otherworldly and entirely different. I also recall my huge disappointment after purchasing what I thought was the soundtrack to "Blade Runner" back in the early '80's, but somehow I still accepted that it was the music from the film, despite the fact that my experience and recollection from the movie theatre had left me with quite a different sensation. Vangelis didn't have the rights to release an album with his original music used in the film until '94 because Warner Bros. owned the rights, and the company was entitled to decide in what form the music should be released. The 1994 album by Vangelis is in sync with the imagery and universe of the film, although, some tracks are not included in the actual film but had been composed by Vangelis for the film.
Highly recommended.