14 November 2011

BEST OF 1979:
Joy Division "Unknown Pleasures" (1979)

Unknown Pleasures [debut]
release date: Jun. 14, 1979
format: vinyl (Italian reissue - FACT 10) / cd (2007 remaster)
[album rate: 5 / 5] [4,86]
producer: Martin Hannett
label: Factory Records - nationality: England, UK

Tracklist: A) 1. "Disorder" (5 / 5) (live) - 2. "Day of the Lords" - 3. "Candidate" - 4. "Insight" - 5. "New Dawn Fades" - - B) 1. "She's Lost Control" (live) - 2. "Shadowplay" - 3. "Wilderness" (5 / 5) (live) - 4. "Interzone" ('Warsaw' version), (live) - 5. "I Remember Nothing"

Studio debut album by Joy Division is a stunning album released on Factory Records with Martin Hannett as producer. The album didn't figure on the charts but in modern music history the album is considered one of the greatest and most influential albums ever made. I didn't hear the album until 1981. I first came across the very first single by New Order "Ceremony", which I absolutely loved. I then immediately started my own small research to find more of that and discovered the connection with Joy Division and listened to Closer, which only made me even more fascinated. This was music like from another planet. Needless to say, I bought the album and began digging into the universe of Joy Division. So, I didn't listen to this album until late '81 but must've heard it a zillion times to my parents regret. A few years later as I bought my own electric guitar and played with my best friend on drums, we used to play our own small instrumental tracks based on the sound of particularly Joy Division / New Order. I simply loved the tone and simplicity of "Transmission", "Disorder" and the angry sneer on "Wilderness". But no, the album wasn't well-received but critics loved it, later on that is, and slowly, progressively, people started recognising its status, although this wasn't until Curtis was no more and New Order had become a major band. Ned Raggett of Allmusic.com today calls it "All visceral, all emotional, all theatrical, all perfect -- one of the best albums ever." And that's how it in time has become credited. First, critics were bewildered and disagreed, after a few years everyone agreed that this is a major work, and only 10-20 years after it was seen as a unique work of art. But that's how great art is received, isn't it?! The album is on numerous "best of" album lists and is also including in "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die".
The 2007 remastered Deluxe Edition is a 2-disc album with a bonus disc containing a live concert at The Factory, Manchester - Jul. 13, 1979.
=> needledrop review

1979 Favourite releases: 1. Joy Division Unknown Pleasures - 2. The Jam Setting Sons - 3. The Clash London Calling